OMG two sweet recipes in a row. Strange in me I know, because I’m more a savoury than a sweet person but I thought this recipe, while good at any time would be good for St. Valentine’s day next Sunday. You could even be really cheesy and put a strawberry heart on top!
This recipe makes enough for 2 single-serve cakes for two very hungry people or 4 servings for normal people!!!! You could halve the recipe with no problems to make one cake to share or enjoy cake over two days. – You choose.
This cake takes about 30 minutes hands on time but you have to add in soaking time and time to freeze each layer. Also you need to take the cake out of the freezer about an hour before you are going to eat it. If it’s still cold in the middle it loses flavour.
I used two 13cm / 5 ” diameter cake tins.
Strawberry Chocolate Vegan Cheesecake
Preparation Time: 30 minutes + soaking and freezing time Servings: 4 people Cooking Time: none two 13cm / 5″ cakes Total: 30 minutes
For the Base:
For the chocolate layer
2 small avocados
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp agave syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp coconut oil in liquid state
For the “cheese” layer
140g / 1 cup raw cashews
3 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cocnut oil in liquid state
- Put the cashews to soak in water at least 8 hours.
- Put the prunes to soak about 30 minutes.
- Put the walnuts in a blender and pulse to get finely chopped walnuts.
- Drain the prunes and remove the stones, if they have them still in, add to the blender with the walnuts and pulse until you have some sticky goo.
- Line your cake tins with plenty of cling film, you want enough to cover the whole cake when you are finished.
- Put the walnut and prune mixture in the cake tins and spread out with a teaspoon to make a thin layer that goes right up to the edges.
- Put the cake tins in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Put all the ingredients for the chocolate layer in the blender and mix well.
- Take the cake tins out of the freezer, add the chocolate layer spreading it out with the back of a teaspoon so that it reaches the edges.
- Put in the freezer for at least two hours.
- Wash and hull the strawberries.
- Cut into slices.
- Choose a slice to cut a heart out of and set aside.
- Place all the ingredients for the “cheese” layer except the strawberries in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Take the cake tins out of the freezer.
- Scatter the sliced strawberries over the chocolate layer.
- Add the cheese layer on top, smoothing it with the back of a teaspoon as you did with the other layers.
- Top with your heart-shaped strawberry and cover with the cling film so you don’t get ice crystals in the cake.
- Return to the freezer for another 2 hours at least.
- Remove from the freezer 1 hour before serving. Take cake out of pan and remove clingfilm while cake is still firm from the freezer.