It may seem strange to be posting salads in November but while the rest of the Northern Hemisphere is turning on the heating, here we are still wearing short sleeves, at least in the daytime. And anyway a hearty salad can be enjoyed at anytime of the year, right?
This salad is based on a typical Spanish dish called Patatas aliñadas which I often order when eating out. It’s always got potatoes and an oil based dressing although different bars and restaurants usually give it their own twist. A word of warning, if you’re in Spain and you fancy some patatas aliñadas some establishments add fish or egg to theirs so if you don’t eat either of those make sure you check the ingredients before ordering.
For me, the secret to this dish is the tangy dressing, the tangier the better! So if the juice of half a lemon doesn’t do it, you should go ahead and add more.
Potato Salad (no mayo)
Preparation Time: 10 minutes + cooling time Servings: 2 people Cooking Time: 15 minutes Total: 25 minutes
5 small potatoes
1 large tomato
1/2 spring onion
1 tsp grainy mustard
Juice of half a lemon (or 1 whole lemon)
Generous pinch sea salt
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Scrub the potatoes. Peel the carrot ant remove the ends. Place in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft when pierced with a knife.
2. Meanwhile, chop the tomato and spring onion.
3. Make the salad dressing. Put the mustard, lemon juice, salt and olive oil in a large bowl. Whisk until creamy.
4. Drain the potatoes and carrot. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes, chop them into bite size pieces and add to the bowl with the dressing. Mix well. They should absorb more dressing as they are warm. Chop and add the carrot. Leave to cool slightly before adding the tomato and spring onion. Mix well.
5. When completely cool, cover and refrigerate at least an hour.
6. Taste the salad and add more lemon juice, oil or salt if necessary. I like a very strong lemon flavour.
7. Serve and enjoy!