This classic for both vegetarians/vegans and meat eaters can be used in many recipes. Of course those of us who don’t eat meat make it with other things such as soya mince, chopped seitan or even lentils. We’re used to seeing it served with pasta as I’ve done here but it can be served with any cereal, think rice or quinoa. I especially like it with wheatberries. And don’t forget there’s always vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie yum yum yum… I’ve got another unusual use for it that I’ll share with you next week but for now the classic version of vege bolognese.
Soya (TVP) Bolognese
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Servings: 4 people Cooking Time: 20 minutes Total: 30 minutes
1 clove garlic
280g tomato sauce
3 cups water
1 vegetabe stock cube
70 soya mince (TVP)
1 tsp marmite
extra virgin olive oil
1. Chop the onion and garlic and saute in 1 tbsp of olive oil until transparent.
2. Chop the leek, carrots and broccoli and add to the pan saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add the soya mince, tomato sauce, water, stock cube and marmite to the pan and bring to the boil.
4. Place a large saucepan full of water on the stove and bring to the boil.
5. Add pasta and cook according to packet instructions.
6. Simmer the TVP for 15-20 minutes, until the mince is soft and the water has evaporated and the sauce is thick.
7. Drain the pasta and serve with the sauce on top.
You can also sign up for e mail updates or follow me on facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. Look forward to seeing you there!