Like fries but better!!! Polenta fries go with anything normal fries do. They’re great with a vegeburger, or just dipped in some ketchup.So I made these fries in the air fryer but you don’t need an air fryer to make them, you can, of course shallow fry them. I just happen to prefer to do them in the air fryer because it uses less oil and because I don’t have to watch them closely or turn them. So don’t despair you can still have your polenta and eat it. That said I’ve had the air fryer for a while now and find it really useful. We don’t use it every day or anything like that but it’s not one of those useless devices that just takes up counter space either.
I imagine you could also make these in a normal deep fat fryer or in the oven but I haven’t tried those options.
Air fryer Polenta “Fries”
Preparation Time: 5 minutes + cooling time Servings: 4 people Cooking Time: 25 minutes Total: 30 minutes
1 cup / 165g polenta/ cornmeal
3 1/4 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dried herbs of your choice (optional)
Oil for greasing
1. Grease a a dish with the oil. Mine was pyrex but it doesn’t have to be heat proof as you are not going to cook it un the dish.
2. Place all the remaining ingredients in a saucepan.
3. Turn on a high heat and start to stir immediately. Keep stirring continuously. When the mixture starts to bubble turn the heat down a little. Keep stirring until you have a thick mixture which is beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan.
4. Turn the heat off and with the help of a spatula transfer the mixture to your greased dish. Use the spatula to spread the mixture evenly and level the top.
5. Leave to cool. Once it’s at room temperature cover and transfer to the fridge. Leave in the fridge at least 2 hours and preferably overnight.
6. Remove from the fridge. Turn the set polenta onto a cutting board. Cut into chip sized pieces.
7. Preheat the airfryer at 200c for three minutes. Put the “fries” into the basket and fry for about 10 minutes,until golden. You may have to do this un batches. Serve immediately.
8. Or, shallow fry in a frying pan turning to ensure they get golden on all sides. Serve immediately.