This bean ball bowl is just great because it’s quick, easy and delicious. It’s bowl food at its best. I took some shortcuts so I could whip it up as quickly as possible, firstly I used canned beans and secondly ready prepared rice, but of course I could have made them from fresh as both of these ingredients keep well if you want to freeze them or batch cook them at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge. By the way the bean balls also freeze well. I had them in my freezer for a month and I cooked the from frozen in the oven.
The carrots I used were a purple variety but you can use carrots of any colour for this. And cauliflower rice is something I’ve been meaning to try for a long time and just never seem to get round to. The pesto really brings it all together so don’t leave it out!
Bean Ball Bowl
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Servings: 4 people Cooking Time: 15 minutes Total: 35 minutes
For 4 people
400g cooked White beans
125g cooked Brown rice
80g Frozen Peas, defrosted
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 head of cauliflower
extra virgin olive oil
Pesto (homemade or shop bought)
- Prepare the pesto sauce if you are making your own.
- Put the beans, rice, salt and garlic powder in a bowl and mash together until quite broken down almost puree like. Add the peas, and mash some more leaving some peas whole.
- With clean hands form balls out of the mixture, about the size of a golf ball.
- You have two options; you can cook them in the oven for 30 minutes at 200c. Drizzle a little oil on top first and take them out when they are golden. Or shallow fry in a little oil turning them frequently until they are golden all over.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the carrot into sticks. Boil or steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Make the cauliflower rice; Grate the crown of the cauliflower on a box grater until you have rice. Use the stalk in another dish.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and add cauliflower rice and a pinch of salt. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Serve accompanied by the pesto.