Happy New Year everyone. Hope you all had a great Christmas and now onto the recipe.
In France they have socca, in Italy, farinata and here in andalusia the have tortillitas de camarones or shrimp fritters. In fact you can find fritters made from chickpea flour all over the world, probably because they are just so easy to make. This is my version (and I can already think of several more variations), which is shrimp-free, of course, and absolutely delicious, of course 😉 I’ve paired it with corn because I like the sweetness and served it with a tahini sauce, which is definitely not how it’s served anywhere but in my kitchen but it was very nice that way.
This recipe made 8 saucer-sized fritters which was just nice as a starter for us but you can multiply the quantities up or down to suit you very easily. You need to be a little organised as the batter needs to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours although overnight is best, but apart from that it’s really quite simple.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes ( + time to rest in the fridge) Servings: 2-3 people Cooking Time: 10 minutes Total: 20 minutes
For the fritters:
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup frozen but thawed sweetcorn
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided use)
1 generous pinch of salt
For the sauce:
1 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp unsweetened plain soya yoghurt
3 tbsp water
1 tsp agave syrup or maple syrup
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp capers (optional)
- Mix the chickpea flour, water, salt and one tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl and put in the fridge at least 2 hours up to overnight.
- Dice the capers (if using).
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and put in the fridge.
- Take the fritter batter out of the fridge, whisk and add the sweetcorn.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on the stove with 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add enough batter to make a saucer-sized fritter. Fry until golden on the underside then flip until golden on the other side.
- Remove from the frying pan and set aside.
- Repeat until you have used all the batter adding more olive oil to the pan as necessary.
- Serve accompanied by the sauce.