I don’t know about where you are but here it’s boiling and this salad is about all we fancy in this heat. No slaving over a hot stove, throw a few things in a bowl and eat, it’s about all I can manage right now. It’s also perfect for potlucks, barbecues, beach picnics or chill out sessions next to the pool. All of which are on my summertime must-do list! It travels well as long as it’s next to an ice pack or lasts a couple of days in the fridge, thus reducing daily effort to a minimum. (At the moment it’s just feels too hot to do anything). Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Simple Chopped Salad
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Servings: 2 people Cooking Time: 0 minutes Total: 15 minutes
8 cherry tomatoes
1 spring onion
3 tablespoons of sweetcorn (fresh or frozen)
1/2 large cucumber or 1 small cucumber
2 palm hearts
small handful flat-leaf parsley
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
a pinch of salt
- You’re going to add all the ingredients to a large salad bowl.
- Wash and cut the tomatoes in half.
- Chop the spring onion into rounds.
- Add the sweetcorn.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone, cut the avocado into chunks and peel away and discard the skin.
- Peel and grate the carrot.
- Peel the cucumber if the skin is tough otherwise you can leave it on. Dice.
- Chop the palm hearts into rounds.
- Add the blueberries.
- Chop the parsley finely.
- Put the last three ingredients which are for the dressing in a clean glass jar and put the lid on. Shake vigourously until well mixed. Pour over the salad. We like a strong vinegar taste so we use 2tbsp but if you prefer a milder flavour or are not sure, start with one tbsp and see how you like it.
- Will last about 12 hours with the dressing on. If you are going to serve it later than that, keep the dressing separately but squeeze some lemon juice over the avocado just after chopping it to stop it from going brown.