Considering how much we like pasta it hasn’t featured here all that much. We could eat pasta every day of the week in our house!!! I think of this recipe as a typical weekday meal which you might get served if you dropped by on a wednesday evening.
The sauce is a riff on my tangy green salad dressing, and also could be classed as a pesto but with a lot sharper lemony taste. You could, of course, use this sauce many ways, as a salad dressing or as a spread on bread or crackers, but I think it gives pasta a nice fresh taste. The water I used to mix it with was a little warm pasta water which adds some starch and stops your food from going cold before you can eat it!!!! If you’re not going to use this sauce for pasta then just use drinking water.
I used a mix of all the vegetables from my fridge but you could use whatever vegetables you have on hand, just make sure you chop them into similar sized pieces.
Pasta with Sunflower Seed and Parsley Sauce
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Servings: 2 people Cooking Time: 15 minutes Total: 30 minutes
1 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Handful of parsley
Pinch of salt
2-4 tbsp of water
1/2 an onion
1 spring onion
1/2 red pepper
6 broccoli florets
1 clove of garlic
extra virgin olive oil
200g wholemeal spaghetti
- Peel, wash and chop vegetables.
- Put a large pan with water on the stove to boil.
- Put a frying pan on the stove, add 1-2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and allow to heat for 1 minute.
- Add vegetables to frying pan, reduce to a medium heat and stir occasionally.
- When the water in the large pan comes to a rolling boil add a little oil, a pinch of salt and the spaghetti. My spaghetti takes 8 minutes but different brands have different cooking times.
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce (sunflower seeds through to pinch of salt) in a bowl suitable for use with a hand blender.
- Add 2 tablespoons of pasta cooking water to the sauce and blend until smooth. You may need to add a little more to get a smooth consistency but start with 2 tablespoons and add more, little by little, if necessary.
- Drain the pasta and put on plates.
- Add the vegetables and top with the sauce.