This dish is a request! While talking to a friend the other day she asked me to post this recipe that I made for her over ten years ago. I can’t believe she remembered it but at the same time I´m enormously flattered that she did. This is another meal which is excellent for entertaing as it needs to be finished of in the oven, giving you time to spend with your guests.
I love courgettes because they are so versatile. They can be used in everything, maybe I’ll turn into a courgette one day! I think I go through about 4 or 5 a week! Especially now they’re in season, you get all the flavour and the price is great.
If you’re lucky enough to have some leftover rice in the fridge that will make it much quicker for you to cook this recipe. I’ll give you instructions for cooking from scratch or for using up leftovers.
On a completely different note I now have a twitter account so you can follow me there. Not only will I be reminding you everytime a new recipe becomes available on the blog but I will retweet any recipes that I see around and sound good!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Servings: 2 Cooking Time: 30 minutes Total: 1 hour
120g cooked brown rice or 50g raw brown rice
1/2 red pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
30g gound almonds
10g pine nuts
100ml vegetable stock (can be from a stock cube)
extra virgin olive oil
1. Cook the brown rice according to packet instructions. preheat the oven to 200ºc.
2. Wash the courgettes thoroughly and cut in half. Score a line in the flesh of the courgette, leave about 1cm border between your line and the skin. Use a teaspoon to scoop the flesh out.
3. Chop the onion and pepper. Chop the courgette flesh into small pieces. Saute the onion, pepper and courgette with the thyme and a pinch of salt in a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
4. Drain and rinse the brown rice (if using raw). Once the vegetables have softened add the rice and mix until it’s taken up the flavours. Taste to see if you need to add more salt.
5. Place the courgettes in an ovenproof dish. Salt the insides (if desired). Fill the courgettes with the rice mixture using a teaspoon. Sprinkle with pine nuts and ground almonds.
6. Pour the vegetable stock into the ovenproof dish until it comes up to 1/3 of the height of the courgettes.
7. Cover (I used aluminium foil) and cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Uncover for the last 10 minutes so that the almond meal becomes toasted.